Tuesday, September 27, 2005

What is it that disturbs us?

I've been carefully considering which writings I should use to support my discussion. At the same time I'm trying to solidify the actual direction of my essay. I want the questions I address in the paper to be specific enough so that I can actually get somewhere with it. So I guess I don't really know what it is I'm doing. But here's my angle so far:

A large percentage of the public is not aware of the lengths to which advertisers will go to convince them of how they should think, and how they should act. What is it about the idea of consciousness construction, and the tactic of appealling to what we generally consider to be the unconscious mind that horrifies many people? Do the American Cultural values of independence and individualism bring about this repugnance? Or is it a reflexive reaction to what seems to be an unethical system of control?

No comments: