Thursday, September 08, 2005

Conflicts of opinion

From what i am reading from both of these articles, they can be relatively the same in certain ways. Both discuss the conflicts of opinion in certain situations involving journalism. But it caught my attention when Rebecca's pocket was talking about journalism. My major involves journalism so I guess that part of the article was more interesting to me. However, it states that journalists are "acutely aware of the potential for abuse that is inherent in their system..." I don't find that necessarily true because journalism is not always factual based. There are many forms of opinion and journalism relies more on entertainment to catch the attention of the viewers/listeners/readers. There are laws against journalists for "abuse" or displaying false information, depending on the case of course. One other thing I found interesting was in Rebeccas's pocket, the writer lists "standards". The first standard states "Publish as fact only that which you believe to be true". Someone very ignorant could post something inappropriate to my ears, yet makes sense to them. So in reality, there are no true boundaries for posting some form of opinion you may have on a certain event, right?

1 comment:

K. Mahoney said...

Beth,
Can you clarify which articles you are referring to? We had four articles to look at for next class...And I am also thinking about "audience" here. Remember that ANYONE can read your post...