Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Lakoff Reading/Persuaders

“The Persuaders” proved to be a real eye-opener for me. I’ve always watched commercials and glanced at billboards but never gave a second thought as to the complicated process behind the catchy phrases. In my mind I assumed a man or woman trying to come up with a clever phrase, sitting at a desk with a trash can piled high with crumpled papers. Little did I know how wrong I would be. In one instance I’m amazed at the complicated process behind advertising, but at the same time I feel almost manipulated at how much the “persuaders” try to relate to the public for the sole purpose of reaping benefits.

With this said, I am also surprised at what I read in Lakoff's "Framing 101: How to Take Back Public Discourse". It was the talk of "family values" and how they apply to the nation as a whole, and how the government (President mainly) has used this to his benefit. In his State of the Union address, he used the statement "We do not need a permission slip", this takes the listeners back to elementary school where its the student, not the teacher, that asks for a permission slip. Mr. President was immediately implying that we (United States), indeed are the teacher, which gives a sense of pride to those who knew what he was implying, and who will want to stand behind a proud leader.

I have never been given such an in depth look at the process behind winning public approval/cooperation. I am almost blown away at the way not only companies, but the President of the United States has gone to such extremes to sell something, or win people over. I am left with mixed feelings after viewing "The Persuaders", and readind Lackoff's peice, and I am left wondering if I have ever fallen for an advertisers trick.

No comments: