Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Paper

Bernays- “Manipulating Public Opinion: They Why and the How”

I did not really understand Bernays’ article at first. I had to go back and re–read it again and again to completely understand what he was talking about. The main point that I found was that people’s thinking can be manipulated even over the smallest things.
He gave the example that you can manipulate their thinking over salad dressing (56). I found that point to be very interesting. The fact that if you give a good enough argument you can change someone’s thinking about salad dressing astonishes me. But, anyhow, the article shows different examples of how different people, countries, and industries have manipulated other people’s thinking. I found a couple key quotes in this article that I think are important.

1. “Analysis is the first step in dealing with a problem that concerns the public” (52).
2. “The fields in which public opinion can be manipulated to conform to a desired result are as varied as life itself” (55).
3. “Analysis of the problem and its causes is the first step toward shaping the public mind on any subject. Occasionally the analysis points to a basic change in the policy of a manufacturer” (57).
4. “One method of changing people’s ideas has been often used, and that is to substitute new ideas for old by changing clichés” (57).


The reason that these quotes stood out to me was because I believe this is the basis on Bernays’ argument. In order to change one’s thinking, we must first analysis the problem.
Then you must manipulate the problem and the best way to do that is not to bring something new but to use old ideas.


Lippmann- “The Disenchanted Man”

I know in class that we discussed this article more than the Bernays’ article. And, that a lot of the class thought that Lippmann’s article was better and could understand more than the Bernays’ article that we read. But, I like the Bernays’ article more. Although, I do understand what Lippmann is saying. I just think Bernays’ has a better way of explaining what exactly he is talking about. Just as in the Bernays’ article I did find some quotes that stuck out to me and that I thought were important and interesting.

1. “It is well known that nothing like the whole people takes part in public affairs. Of the eligible voters in the United States less than half go to the polls even in a presidential year” (37).
2. “In fact, realistic political thinkers in Europe long ago abandoned the notion that the collective mass of the people direct the course of public affairs” (38).
3. “…action cannot be taken until these opinions have been factored down, canalized, compresses and made uniform” (40).
4. “The victorious alternative is executed not by the mass but by individuals in control of its energy”(40).


The quotes that I found in this article, I believe, are Lippmann’s main points. He points out the fact that half of the registered voters actually vote even in an presidential election year. That simple fact right there shocked the hell out of me. I do not understand how people cannot vote. I think voting is one of the most important things that an American citizen can do. It symbolizes our freedom and our right to choose who we want in office.
The other quotes just show that you do not need a mass of people to effect change. Anyone can do it. They just have to set their mind to it and they can effect change in their country, or whatever they are trying to change.

No comments: