Monday, April 07, 2008

"War on Manipulation"

Mary McGowan

Honestly, part of me wishes that I had never read any of these readings. Ignorance really is bliss. I feel completely duped and partially insulted by how the American public and myself have been so captivated by a string of words created by the powers that be to influence our opinions. Like fireworks, we are left staring in amazement saying, “Oooh, look at the pretty colors” not knowing that it is actually just explosion with some sparkles. Higher powers devise pretty words to draw our attention away from the real meaning. For example, the “war in Iraq” was changed to the “war on terror” so people could not be opposed to it. If you oppose the “war on terror” then you must support terror and are therefore a terrorist, right?
I now hate the word “think tank”. Let’s break this down as Lakoff does. Thinking is the capability to use our minds for reasoning, remembering, decision making, etc.; it is what separates us from every other living creature. A tank is a large container or structure. So, a “think tank” is a large structure in which people use their minds. Now, I am no linguist, but that sounds wonderful to me. Why can’t everyone have one?
But what is a “think tank” really? A place where people spend millions of dollars trying to come up with ways of manipulating the public. In fact I’m sure the term “think tank” was created in one, because I suppose it sounds much better than what it really is: a manipulation tank.
Think tanks” are used for persuading people whether it be for marketing or politics. They hardly seem different anymore. Bernays says in “Manipulating Public Opinion” that whether it be for politics or hats, the methods of persuading the public are the same. They both end up with the public feeding out of the palm of the persuaders hand.
Although I despise their use, I cannot deny that it is a pretty intelligent idea. As the movie “The Persuaders” told us, it is hard for us to see ads anymore amongst all the clutter. Take New York for example. Walking through Times Square, there are tons of ads smacking you in the face, but each one seems to get lost in the noise as it all just seems like a bunch of bright lights. It will no longer suffice just to advertise products as being better, faster, or stronger. As time goes on, that is just expected and everything seems to be at an equal level until something new is invented. So therefore, I cannot really blame marketers for trying to come up with new ways of advertising so that they do not fall among the clutter.
It is when this method is used in politics that it peeves me. In my perfect world, people just say what they mean and leave it up to the public to agree or disagree. I hate that it has come to manipulation in order to get their desired effect. The Agents should be trusted in telling the Bystanders the truth.
Politics to me is like speaking Spanish. I don’t know it all, nor do I claim to, but I know enough key information to get by, such as “Where is the bathroom” and “Why are we in Iraq”. So actually the platform on which I stand is shoddy, but I am sure if the rest of the American public was informed of these manipulation tanks and how we are all being duped, I am sure they would be just as pissed.
It is rather disappointing to read Lakoff telling us that the reason Republicans have so much power is because they have all these “think tanks” and know how to manipulate the public. In an ever-growing world, the conservative ways just don’t stand up anymore. More liberal views are needed. However, Lakoff tells us that this won’t happen until liberals follow the same path as the conservatives. I picture a future of pretty words and manipulating lies.

No comments: