Tuesday, March 27, 2007

No time for a witty title, but I think I'm liking this Lakoff stuff.

Not only is it easier to read than Ramage, but the tangents are far less wild are much easier to follow. Simply put, I think I'm really going to enjoy reading this text/book/whatever.

I'm totally burnt out from working on my paper--which I have devoted many, many, hours to (and then some!) and probably will never feel as though my work on it is complete--but reading Lakoff was quite interesting. At times I felt as though I lost track of what she was saying, but I caught back up nicely.

Points I especially found interesting:
The entire section about the apology and even the un-apology.
The idea of "performative" expressions (I very certain I grasped the concept.)
The section about stories that make the news (which reminded me a lot of this Anna Nicole Smith/The Croc Hunter business that certain news organizations cling to like ticks.)

And other stuff, but I'm tired, and am too out of it to page through to find all the stuff I highlighted so I can remember what I read.

Still, I'm quite interested in seeing where all this conversation leads in class tomorrow.

G'nite! (because shouting "G'nite!" is traditional where I come from... well, not really. Sleep deprivation/exhaustion + doing stuff = lameness)

I'll just stop here.

No comments: