Saturday, December 31, 2005

Paper 2

For Paper 2, I decided to look into President Bush's language in a couple speeches to the American public about the Iraq War. After 9/11, although some protests still existed, many Americans supported Bush for going to war. Even I did. But years later, especially after no weapons of mass destruction were found, many people began to doubt the reasons for being in Iraq, especially because Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. The War in Iraq became the War on Terror and we were suddenly fighting for the freedom that we possess today. But my paper discusses how Bush uses language to gain support for the war in Iraq when he uses no facts. I think he tries to create meaning and emotion in his speeches because he knows this is what Americans respond to. I used Lakoff's discussion of language and meaning along with Luntz's framing and language tactics. I also wove Lemann and Rampton and Stauber in throughout the paper.

No comments: